Matriarch in Training

Worst part about becoming a matriarch is the loss of another. 

I come from a long line of Charity's. Great Aunt Chat, Charity Holiday, Grandma Charity, myself Jennifer Charity, and my dear daughter, Aster Charity Lynn. 

Grandma Charity was an only child and married her high school sweetheart. She had two boys. She waited 52 years for a little girl to arrive and another 33 for the second little girl. 

My earliest memories of spending time with her was watching Anne of Greene Gables and David Attenborough nature documentaries. I used to eat sugar cubes out of her pantry and wear my grandpa's crisp white undershirts to bed when I would sleep over. Frosted flakes were always on the menu in the morning and if I was lucky, so were fresh blueberries and cream. 

I knew at a young age who ruled the roost. There was never a holiday or birthday or event that Grandma Charity didn't have the final say in. Grandma Charity was the very definition of a matriarch.

I also knew at a young age that I would one day take on that role.

It has been just over a year since Grandma Charity died. The family has yet to give her a final send off - my event planning skills seem to be lacking when it comes to this particular event. I think the whole family, while we have trudged on without her physical presence this year, still isn't really ready to say a goodbye.

I am not sure my voice is strong enough yet to be the female lead in the Lounsbury family. But I try to live as she did in a couple ways.

I have always been relatively calm and diplomatic. Most family members call me when they have a gripe, good news, want to get the family together, or just say "hi." Grandma Charity taught me that my mind controls my emotions and that family is everything. Those two items have collided many times over the years but love and family always prevail.

Maybe I don't need to be strong, or stoic or wise to be a matriarch. Maybe I just have to remember that Grandma Charity is right there with me each and every day. ♥

    

Comments

Popular Posts