What is it about babies?

What is it about babies that makes me, women, people in general so happy!? I had a boss once that read a book about what makes women feel sexy and being near babies was one of them. Strange.

My brother was born when I was five and a half. I think my love of babies started then. You wouldn't know by the horror stories my mom tells, like when I dropped him on the floor when he was about a week old, or the time I pulled the blacket out from under him while he lay on the couch and he fell off . . . he was maybe 3 months then. My acts of love became more violent as we got older. I gave him his first bloody nose, first black eye, tore off his big toe nail by pushing the door open on it . . . threw a HUGE icicle at his head giving him a permanent scar. It is a wonder he still talks to me!

I started babysitting when I was 11. I baby sat little Austin. My dad went to high school with his dad. Austin comes from a very progressive family. He would request to eat tofu. I didn't even know what it was. A few months into watching Austin a couple nights a week his mom gave birth to baby Grace (at home, in a hot tub). She breast fed in front of me, showed me videos of the birth and taught me about cloth diapers.

I have babysat many children over the years. I prefer to care for infants. It just feels natural. Once they start playing pretend I am out of there! Infants are so helpless, yet so predictable and relatively easy to please. I used to watch these two little baby boys- different families, but same circle of friends. They said that other babysitters were scared off because their babies were fussy. Well, not for me. I don’t mean to brag, but babies do love me.

I gave up babysitting a few years ago- now I do pets and houses. Lucky for me, my brother recently had a baby with, well, with his baby-mama. Now I can get my baby fix whenever I want! And I am not the only one. Even my boyfriend requests to hang out with him and my friends can’t seem to get enough of him on Facebook! Even my boyfriend’s dad who recently visited was overjoyed to be around my nephew . . .

which sort of begs the question, when am I just going to say fuck it and have a baby?

Comments

Popular Posts